Friday, June 4, 2010

Amuse Bouche - Rent it!

Miracle of St. Anna (2008)
Directed by Spike Lee

Being one of the most well known black directors, I can't help but support Spike Lee's films, but I haven't always enjoyed them. He has a tendency of being a little too preachy. Over the years he has grown from a young director into a house hold name. I remember seeing this particular film in the movie theaters and really enjoying it. The culture mixes of German Nazi's and African American soldiers and tying in a modern day murder was brilliant! Bravo Spike! Too bad it wasn't more successful in the box office.


The White Ribbon (2009)
Directed by Michael Haneke

Talk about a snooze fest!!! I really want to be one of those people who love abstract deep films, but I accept that some things might just go over my head. I sat through the whole film waiting for something interesting to happen and then it ended. Its also subtitles so it requires reading, but I'm sorry, if you want me to read a movie the plot needs to be interesting too. Although to its credit, after sitting for about an hour, I realized the the cinematography was stunning! Leave it to a photographer to notice that.

Greenberg (2010)
Directed by Noah Baumbach

I am happy to see Ben Stiller try to branch out from slap stick comedy. I also enjoyed the cameo appearance from Merrit Wever who plays the lovable Zoey Barkow from Nurse Jackie.
Baumbach is known for making dark comedies about middle age crisis. If you liked The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) or The Squid and the Whale (2005) then you will enjoy this one too.




Alice in Wonderland (2010)
Directed by Tim Burton

I was so excited to see Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland. It seemed like such a good combination, but the quirky amazing brilliants wasn't there. No wonder he left Disney in the beginnings of his career. He should have never went back! So it is confirmed! Tim Burton + Disney = a movie that sucks



Clash of the Titans (2010)
Directed by Louis Leterrier
Its funny how 20 years later with advanced technology and special effects and the original is till better.




The Hurt Locker (2008)
Directed by Kathryn Bigelow
I never get to see films before they won best picture. Perhaps I should have seen this before all of the hype because the whole time I was looking for the star quality that everyone seemed to have found. Don't get me wrong, this story was something that I never seen before, but I'm also not a huge fan or war movies either.





Shutter Island (2010)
Directed by Martin Scorsese
Out of respect for an amazing director like Martin Scorsese, you can't help but go see Shutter Island. Its far from his best work, but it does sill have all the qualities and sensibilities of his films. The ending turns you for a loop and not necessarily a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment