Saturday, January 30, 2010

Amuse Bouche January 2010







Me and Orson Welles (2008)
Directed by Richard Linklater

This film started off so slow the person I saw it with fell asleep. I've always been a huge fan of Clare Danes, but she couldn't hold my attention enough to enjoy this film. Although the role for Zac Efron wasn't much of a stretch, its nice to see him try to branch of from his Disney affiliated connection. Overall, too much acting and not enough plot.










Youth in Revolt (2009)
Directed by Miguel Arteta


The idea of this film is funnier than the actual movie. I felt like they could have taken this a little further. It seems like they were going for dark comedy but it felt more like light gray. You would think a film with Micheal Cera, Zack Galifianakis and Steve Buscemi would be be dripping with comedic slap stick moments, but I was left feeling underwhelmed.











The Book of Eli (2010)
Directed by Albert and Allen Hughes


"Oh look its I am Legend (2007) with Denzel Washington instead of Will Smith!"

No one is going to argue that Denzel is a better actor then Will, but the story was surprisingly better too. Mila Kunis (That 70's Show) wouldn't have been my first pick for the role of Solare. Her voice was less annoying than usual, but she still didn't feel believable as a strong character. Unlike I Am Legend, this film touched on some important philosophical ideas that make you think.






A Serious Man (2009)
Directed by Ethan and Joel Coen

This film like most Coen Brothers films is a strange dark comedy that makes you wonder if its a comedy at all. I left the theater unclear if I liked it or hated it. The dialog seemed so authentic it felt like a running inside joke. Most of the jokes went over my head, but I appreciated the sophistication. I've always loved the Coen brothers for their cinematography and this film is no exception.







The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)
Directed by Terry Gilliam

It took me a long time to see this film because the fact Heath Ledger died a year before is a little creepy. The creepier part is that his character is introduced to the story as someone they found hung by the neck and assumed dead. Now even if you tried to look past these morbid aspects, the film is still weird! It's not the Tim Burton creative quirky artistic but beautiful and brilliant weird either. The pace of the movie is too slow and the story line and the characters aren't believable enough for you to even take the leap. There isn't even enough creative imagery to justify seeing for the pretty pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! I want more reviews. These are witty, well articulated, and spot on. I want to argue with you because I know you like a debate, but I can't. More, more, more!

    ReplyDelete