Thursday, September 17, 2009

Film Comparison: Picking Battles Depends the Century

Jude 1996
Directed by Michael Winterbottom
VS
Revolutionary Road 2008
Directed by Sam Mendes

Jude is a British film about a man who fell in love with his cousin and they lived out of wedlock during the Victorian period. I felt perplexed through out the movie because I couldn’t get over the fact that they were social outcasts, not because they were cousins, but because they weren’t married. I know this sounds terrible to say, but in this case I just feel like they needed to suck it up and get married. Perhaps I can’t really understand this movie because I’m too far removed from this old fashion concept. Some could say people living out of wedlock in the Victorian age, would be equivalent to gay couples unable to get married today. However, I wouldn’t be one of those people. You have a choice if you want to get married or not, but you don’t have a choice if you are gay, or a different nationality. I’m all about standing up for what you believe in, but for me, the fight for staying single isn’t a worthy one. What’s the point of all that sacrifice if you end up losing the people you love? I couldn’t really grasp the concept of Jude, but I respect the emotional journey.

Jude’s co-star, Kate Winslet is also in the movie Revolutionary Road (2008), directed by her husband Sam Mendes, who is famous for telling the emotional journey rather than a plot driven storyline. His films have always been a nice breathe of fresh air for me. Not only are his films visually stunning, but also he says a lot without saying anything at all. Too many characters in films talk too much about what they are feeling.

Revolutionary Road is a perfect example of how Mendes tells a story with what is left unsaid. The film is about a married couple in the 1950’s who saw themselves as different then everyone else, but soon succumbed to the an unfulfilled suburban life. In a lot of ways this film has similar characteristics as Jude. In both films, the characters undergo social pressures but deal with the pressure slightly differently. However, both films, the couples meet a breaking point that tears them apart. The time period difference aloud me to relate more to Revolutionary Road. I also liked that the emotionally oppressed feelings the characters have are reflected in the overall look of the film. The pastel and washed out color palette I felt was thoughtful and appropriate.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, girl. Love your writing and reading your thoughts. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete